Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Fat friends


I was a bit alarmed at the open-arm welcome a friend of mine gave the fat friends jorunal report. Front page news of the LA Times. For the record, I will never place one ounce of responsibility on any friend for my being 250 pounds during the tenure of our friendship. The idea is completely absurd to me. It took a long time for me to shed the extra 35 pounds I was carrying around for the past decade. I would say a combination of diet and the relief of several 'life stresses' where the main factors in the change of my physique.

I understand the study and it's publishing as a windfall for the further alienation of people who are over weight. At the same time I have talked extensively with some of the 'fans of this article' about the obeisity of America, why people eat, depression, etc. long before the journal was published.

Yes, an arguement can be made that peer pressure might make me eat the twinkie so I can 'fit in'. And in doing so I stop 'fitting in' my pants. But If that be the scientific case, then I've got lots of fingers to start pointing at lots of places to validate myself for NOT having what I want.

Here's a little rebuttal about the published journal.
http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/58889/

No comments:

Post a Comment